Friday, 24 April 2015

Going Cruelty Free


So recently I've been thinking a lot about how many beauty products I buy and how much I spend on them, and whether I'm really thinking about my purchases when I make them. As a total animal lover the thought of animals being cruelly harmed really upsets me, but (and this may sound really stupid) although I obviously knew that animal testing exists, I'd never really given much thought about it until pretty recently. 

Recent events in the news to do with trophy hunting led me down a path where I began reading more and more into animal cruelty, reading up on things on the PETA and Go Cruelty Free 'Leaping Bunny' websites. I've now decided that, for me personally, I cannot justify buying beauty products which are not cruelty free. Beauty products are not necessary, we do not need them, and therefore I feel that animals do not need to be harmed for the sake of people putting some pretty mixtures on their faces. 

I'm not writing this to preach to others and tell them what to do, or to berate others for whatever products they use; I am writing this for others like me who may have simply never really thought about it before, and may like to look into the options for cruelty free beauty in a bit more depth.

After a bit of investigation, I've found that most of the beauty brands I use that I like the most are already cruelty free, but a handful of them aren't (Bobbi Brown, Benefit, and Clarins namely). I'm still going to continue to use the products I own because frankly I can't afford to replace them in my collection, but when they've run out/gone out of date I will just not repurchase them. I feel a bit sad because they are products I love, but I really don't feel like I can justify buying them any more.  

The brands that I do use that are (as far as I understand) cruelty free are Palmer's, Lush, The Body Shop (parent company L'Oreal is not though), Charlotte Tilbury, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Real Techniques, Urban Decay (same situation as The Body Shop), Soap and Glory, Burt's Bees, and Liz Earle. I've found all my info on these brands' cruelty free status' from either PETA or Leaping Bunny logo lists, or statements made on their own websites. Some also say that Nars, Bare Minerals, and Antipodes are cruelty free and others say they are not, so I need to do a bit more digging in those areas! If any of you have looked into them, please share. 

For me, making this change has been really important as the more I looked into it all, the more I felt like a total hypocrite for saying I was against animal cruelty when I was happy to use any beauty brand willy-nilly! 

I'd love to hear your stances on this issue! Do any of you exclusively shop cruelty free beauty, or is it not something you've really thought about before? Are there any cruelty free brands that I should check out? I've heard of a few others but what I've listed is all I've tried! 

5 comments:

  1. amazing post !!!

    thanks for sharing



    would love to know your thoughts on my new post Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    MyBlogloving

    MyFacebook

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is so good that you're thinking about the products you're buying and not just going with the trends - seriously amazing! I'm actually doing the exact same thing as you, not throwing everything away that I own, but just not repurchasing it. In time your whole make-up stash will eventually be cruelty free :) Loved reading this post!

    xo Mel || Sketch & Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it interesting that companies that sell in China can't guarantee being cruelty free because in China its law to test on animals.

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand the struggle. I just love MAC lipsticks and MAC is not cruelty-free. This is my biggest indulgence I guess. I stopped buying Garnier and L'oreal over 8 years ago when I went vegetarian and haven't looked back since. I still can review their products but I will never buy them with my own money. I love supporting The Body Shop, Charlotte Tilbury and all other cruelty-free brands. Looking forward to hearing your journey!

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE cruelty free products - it makes such a difference and I always try to buy products that are cruelty free…..sometimes I do have to review products that aren't though which I'm not keen on but more and more brands are starting to change and you never know, one day everything might be cruelty free! :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete