Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Soap & Glory 'One Heck of a Blot' Review!






I've been needing a new pressed powder for a little while now, as the one I was using (Rimmel's Stay Matte) wasn't meeting my needs - it didn't actually keep shine away from my skin for more than a couple of hours, was the wrong shade as I bought it in the summer when I had a bit of a tan, and the lid had smashed in my bag at some point. When browsing the aisles in Boots, I remembered a friend had said a couple of months a go that she really rated Soap & Glory's One Heck of a Blot powder, and as I'm already a fan of their bath and body products, I decided  to give it a whirl. 

One Heck of a Blot is a translucent pressed powder, so there's no need to worry about it not matching your skintone - you can see from the above photo that the swatch is barely visible against my skin, and that's with 3 or 4 layers, so it should match pretty much everyone. It comes in Soap & Glory's usual fun and girly, vintage inspired packaging - something I particularly love about the brand. I know the quality and performance of the product is what's important, but it doesn't hurt for it to come in a pretty case, does it? Haha. 

I've had this powder for 3 or 4 weeks now and so have used it a fair few times, and I am very impressed. I don't have super oily skin, my skin is generally dry/very dry all over but a shiny t-zone does gradually develop throughout the day. I also like a good powder to set my foundation as I use moisturising bases that tend to not last as long on the skin in comparison to oil-free/mattifying ones. My Rimmel Stay Matte Powder would only keep the shine away for 2 hours at best, One Heck of a Blot keeps me shine-free for at least 5 hours, often longer. I wore this the other night to set my foundation before a gig - finished doing my makeup at 6pm, got home just before 2am and only had the slightest beginnings of shine on my nose and forehead. For 8 hours that included being outdoors, being inside a hot gig, and a trip to the pub, I think this powder seriously good!




The powder compact comes with a little powder puff which, although I don't like to use for initial application, is handy to have with you for touch-ups throughout the day if you need to - much more convenient than carrying makeup brushes around! Just press on to the skin to be shine-free once more (: 

Although One Heck of a Blot is quite a bit more expensive than the Rimmel offering I was previously purchasing, it is 100% worth it! It just simply works, and is a heck of a lot (see what I did there?) cheaper than high-end brands whose powders claim to do the same thing - I'll definitely be repurchasing this product (:


Have you tried One Heck of a Blot, or any of Soap & Glory's other pressed powders? What did you think of them?

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like an excellent power which has been getting really good reviews! I wish Soap & Glory cosmetics were easier to get a hold of where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion it is really good, sucks it's hard to get where you are! Another drugstore powder I really rate is Bourjois' Healthy Balance, if that's any easier for you to get (: x

      Delete
  2. nice blog :) if u wanna follow each other let me know i ll be happy :)
    http://zielonoma.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my all time favourite powder, I absolutely love it. I love how it's not at all cakes, and a little goes a long way. I'm obsessed with all of the Soap & glory powders now! after loving this one so much xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so good isn't it! I'm definitely going to have a look at their other powders now, got my eyes on Glow All Out (: x

      Delete