Saturday, 18 January 2014

Topshop 'Matte Nails' Nail Polish in 'Brutal' Review!



When I'm in Topshop, their makeup stands always catch my eye, and I go and have a gander at everything but always end up leaving empty-handed. I think the problem is I like the look of too many of the products, so find it easier to get nothing than to choose between them ha. On one of my (many) more recent visits however, this little polish caught my eye. Topshop Matte Nails in Brutal struck me as quite an unusual colour, being a deep, dark purple - especially for a matte formula. I'd heard a lot of people talking about matte polishes, and seeing as this one seemed to be calling out to me, I thought I'd get in on the action.

As you can see from the above photograph, the finish isn't exactly matte. It seemed to me to look almost like leather, with it's semi-matte, polished appearance. It also appears a lot darker on the nails that it appears in the bottle - almost black. It really isn't what I was expecting from it when I picked up the bottle. I don't dislike the finish, but it's just not what I thought I was buying so I was a little disappointed. 

Also, slightly weird thing happened - I applied hand cream over my hands and some inevitably got on my nails. This caused them to have the appearance of 'regular' nail polish, and the matte effect was completely lost. I thought that simply wiping off the hand cream would resolve this, but the polish remained that way and never returned to it's semi-matte appearance. 

Unfortunately, I've found that this polish doesn't last that well on my nails. After a couple of days it was noticeably chipped - chunks had come off on my index finger and thumb nails. Because of this, I think it will be a polish that I use specifically for a particular occasion as I wouldn't need it to last overly long, but not for my usual polish that I expect to last the week. 

I don't think I'll be purchasing any of Topshop's other Matte Nail polishes, but I'm not going to let this stop me from trying out their other formulations (I've actually purchased a lovely looking pastel blue glitter - fingers crossed it'll be just as great out of the bottle!) or any of their other beauty products in the future. Topshop's Matte Nails in 'Brutal' isn't an unpleasant product at all, I just think it's important to know what to expect from it before purchasing as it is very different from it's description. 

Have you tried any of Topshop's Matte Nails? What did you think of them? 

15 comments:

  1. I love how this looks but ive found with most of the topshop nail varnishes they dont stay on well :(

    http://champagnelambinibudget.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's a shame! It was one of those polishes that as soon as I started applying it, I could tell it wasn't going to last long.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I loved the post! It looks very appealing too bad isn't very good.
    Would you like to follow each other? If you like my blog at least!
    xoxo
    http://foreveramber123.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I really didn't want to be disappointed, but unfortunately I was! and of course, I'm following you already (:

      Delete
  3. It's a shame you didn't love this as much :( I'm not a fan of matte nail polishes anyway so this didn't appeal to me!

    Sharlotte // Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah that sucks that it didn't come out as matte! I love matte polishes but you kind of have to adjust to them. One that I found that works is from H&M and you have to do like 3 coats. But I really do love the color of this one you showed!

    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful colour, it's a shame the lasting power isn't great though :( x

    lamourjosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried any of the topshop matte polishes but I have three from their normal range and I was so disappointed by the very poor lasting powder x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right! It doesn't look very matte at all... still a nice colour though.

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a cool shade! I love matte nail polishes lately :)

    anacelinelabod.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried the black matte polish and it chipped so easily! such a shame.

    www.beccamy.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete